Tuesday 1 June 2010

New York City Cops

Every time I go to New York City I always play 'who can spot the Empire State Building first' with my fellow travellers on the cab ride from JFK. We usually put a beer on it (who can spot an elephant first proved a suitable alternative in Zambia one year) and it makes the inevitable journey from the airport to whatever hotel or hostel you are staying in a little more fun, as lets face it, unless it's your first time in America, its not the most enjoyable of routes, especially in rush hour. The last two times I have been to the city however have somewhat been tainted though when, in 2006 fog and 2008, night and the lack of anyone to challenge save for a non-enlgish speaking taxi driver, made spotting the tower and any real competition somewhat trying. So the main focus of my last trip was leaving the city, and if I would be compelled to play a similar game to pass the time.

As it would happen I was. I have the daftest habit in that certain things, people or objects need to be 'seen off' in the right manner, I have to leave on a high as it were, a perfect farewell and it seemed as though I also needed to do this for buildings. On setting my rental Chrysler 300c on the Van Wyck Expressway, I managed several glances across to the city, shining in the mid afternoon sun of a June weekend, so I began to think about when the last look across at the city would be. I tried several which all seemed nice enough but with the road turning as it circled Manhattan, there were several opportunities to get a better and better 'last look' and then even more chances as the road meandered this way and that for the last look to be spoiled by an unavoidable glance which just would not serve as a fitting memory.

Before long I decided that all of these last looks were starting to become a strain to the neck (as the city was now behind me) and also quite dangerous as the Sunday traffic was not as quiet as I anticipated and this particular stretch of road probably wasn't suited to hone my left-hand-drive technique so my eyes really needed to be firmly on the road. Before long i came to a queue in traffic at a bridge over one of the rivers that sweeps along the city and as I was mounting the red iron of the road support, I noticed to my left that the whole of new york city was visible and in its centre, pointing toward the sun like a needle shining like a beacon of gold as the sun beamed on its windowed facade, was the empire state building. I immediately thought that yes, this is it! This was the last view I had been looking for and I drove along at the slow speed of the now queuing traffic with my head over my left shoulder, not wanting to miss a second of the tower which shined so bright.

When it finally passed behind me and out of view I was content and turned to face the road again, which was now not a road but a series of cones laid out for cars to go through the approaching toll booth. What i had not realised that in my dreamlike state of city-scaping, I had entered the E-Z Pass lane, an express lane, designated for people without cash who make the commute daily. This I thought was a trifle embarassing, but not the all-out felony which I was about to be accused of. I wont go into detail, let's just say that some new york city cops are a little uptight. After a long argument and eventual agreement I was let through amid horns and shouts from behind, much to my dismay and dent of pride. I was angry for a while, my perfect end to leaving new york ruined by a smart ass cop with an axe to grind, but I soon smiled again, I realised that the city had not intended me to have my last look on that bridge on a warm sunday in June, and that I must return again to earn that privilage; something which fills my heart with excitement again, and something that the new york city cops seem to know all too well..

No comments:

Post a Comment